Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Veteran Affairs and Tuition Assistance

UA Cossatot is an ‘approved college’ by the State Approving Agency for Veterans; whereby, military service veterans, veterans who were disabled in service, and the dependents of disabled or deceased veterans (children, spouses, widows) may be eligible to receive VA education benefits from the Department of Veteran Affairs.
All students seeking tuition assistance or veterans’ education benefits must be working toward completing a degree and should read the curriculum outline for their class objectives as only specific courses may be applied toward VA certification and graduation.

Steps to Receive VA Benefits at UA Cossatot

  • Apply for VA benefits online at
  • Compare all benefit chapters to decide which chapter is right for you.
  • Bring your DD214 and Letter of Eligibility to the UA Cossatot Financial Aid/Veteran Affairs Representative.
  • Register with UA Cossatot as early as possible to ensure your eligibility and timeliness of payments.
  • If required for your chosen chapter benefits (namely, chapters 1606, 1607, and 30), make sure to certify your enrollment every month!   Call in and certify at 1-877 VA-ECERT (1-877-823-2378) or certify online at
  • Visit the UAC VA Academic Advisor often to ensure that you are staying on the correct degree plan.
  • The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, the length of your service, your category, and if the DOD put extra money in your MGIB Fund (called "kickers"). You usually have 10 years to use your MGIB benefits, but the time limit can be less or more under certain circumstances. 
  • Do not forget to request a copy of your military transcripts to submit to the college for possible college.
  • If transferring from another college, or changing your major with UA Cossatot, you must make these changes to your Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) as well.

More Information on Veteran Educational Benefits:


Other Helpful VA Information and Updates

Visit the GI Bill® Website:

1-888-GIBILL-1 or 1-888-442-4551

Apply for benefits:

eBenefits Access Your VA & DoDo Benefits 24-7 

Arkansas National Guard Tuition Assistance Program (NGTA)

Who is eligible for the NGTA program? All current National Guard Soldiers meet the following criteria:

  • Arkansas resident
  • Completed basic training
  • Does not already hold a bachelor's - or higher - degree
  • Enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at an Arkansas public institution of higher education
  • Not currently flagged for serious misconduct (such as AWOL, ASAP, etc.)

How do I get NGTA?

  • Enroll in an Arkansas public institution of higher education
    • Must be considered to be in “good standing” by that institution
    • Complete FAFSA and YOUniversal (through ADHE website) applications
    • Let your school know you plan to use the NGTA and follow their policies
  • Submit an application to Arkansas National Guard Education Services Office to verify eligibility
  •  Download the application, read the attached "Statement of Understanding," complete the form, and email the form to
    •  The Education Services Office will verify eligibility and forward approvals to the Arkansas Department of Higher Education and they will pay your school directly for the hours you are approved

What exactly does NGTA cover?

  • The NGTA program covers tuition only and does not cover fees, books, etc.
  • NGTA pays up to 120 credit hours or until completion of a bachelor’s degree, whichever comes first

How is NGTA different from FTA, GI Bill®, & GTIP; and can I use those benefits too?

  • Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) covers credit hours beyond a bachelor’s degree, pays tuition only, and usually can’t be used in conjunction with GI Bill®
  • The GI Bill® is paid directly to the soldier and can be used to pay tuition, fees, books, etc., but has very strict eligibility guidelines based on each soldier’s service
    • The NGTA program CAN be used with the GI Bill® - NGTA will be applied to tuition first so that your GI Bill® can be used to cover all additional costs if you choose to use them both
  • NGTA is replacing GTIP so they can’t be used together, and no new GTIP applications are being accepted (with the exception of a few grandfathered soldiers)

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

For more information on tuition assistance via NGTA, please visit

UA Cossatot Military Waiver

UA Cossatot offers a 50% tuition waiver for Active & Honorably Discharged Military Personnel and their dependents.

The UAC Military Waiver must be completed each semester. It is located on the Financial Aid Forms page of our website in the Financial Aid Tuition & Fee Waivers tab.

UA Cossatot Veteran Representative Contact Information

Katy Garcia in the Financial Aid Office can answer any questions you may have concerning your VA benefits. She is located on the De Queen campus and can be reached by telephone at 870-584-4471 ext.1148 or by email at