Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Disability Services

Adult students with disabilities may face a variety of unique obstacles in earning a college degree, but Disability Services is here to assist in “leveling the playing field” so to speak.

UA Cossatot Disability Services
183 College Drive
DeQueen, AR 71832
Phone: (870) 584-1143
Fax: (870) 642-5088

The United States’ Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act establish that students with disabilities be provided equal access to a college education. The ADA defines “disability” as “having a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities.” The ADA protects individuals from discrimination if they have a record of such impairments or if they are regarded as having such impairments.

An individual with a disability is someone:

  • With a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity;
  • Who has a record of such an impairment;
  • Who is regarded as having such an impairment

Section 504 prohibits discriminating on the basis of disability against participants in programs receiving federal funds. Campuses are required to be physically and programmatically accessible. Colleges are required to provide reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities to ensure equal access to college offerings. The ADA defines reasonable accommodation as: “changes or adjustments in a school site, program, or job that makes it possible for an otherwise qualified student with a disability to perform the duties or tasks required.” Colleges are not required to provide personal aides or assistants. A student with a disability is to have what is needed so that they may access every activity (or its equivalent) that is available to other students. Colleges are not expected to provide something which will cause an “undue hardship” on the college. “Undue hardship” is defined as: “action requiring significant difficulty or expense” when considered in light of factors such as: nature and cost of the accommodation in relation to the overall size, resources, nature and structure of the college’s operation. Alternatives which may serve in place of the specific accommodation should be considered.

One of the major results this legislation has been the development of disability services on college campuses. It is the goal of UA Cossatot Disability Services to assist students with disabilities in identifying what obstacles they may face based upon documentation of a disability and to work closely with the students in determining how we can overcome the obstacles together. The key to being successful as an adult student with a disability is: knowing your rights, knowing your responsibilities, and helping yourself. We look forward to getting to know you better, working with you to creatively solve any problems you may come across, and assisting you in achieving your academic and career goals.

Follow these steps to request academic accommodations:


1. Complete a Disability Services Application available at any UAC campus or online and submit to Disability Services via fax (870) 642-5088, email, or deliver to any UAC campus.

2. Provide documentation of disability. The student’s self-report regarding how he or she may be “limited by impairment” serves as primary disability documentation. Disability Services’ observation and interaction with the student serves as secondary documentation. Tertiary documentation from external or third parties may be requested. This would include educational or medical records, reports, and assessments created by health care providers, school psychologists, teachers, or the educational system.

3. Make an appointment with Disability Services to review documentation, discuss potential academic difficulties, and determine possible appropriate academic accommodations. Accommodation Plans are automatically renewed every consecutive semester that the student enrolls. Students should make an appointment with Disability Services to review and review their Accommodation Plan each semester to ensure it continues to meet their academic needs. A new Disability Services Application must be completed upon re-enrollment if a student does not remain enrolled in consecutive semesters. A student may terminate their Accommodation Plan at any time by submitting a signed written request for termination.

When a student with a disability, functioning under an IEP or 504 plan, is dually enrolled in both high school and college courses, it is the responsibility of the High School to notify the college and provide a copy of the student’s IEP or 504 plan to Disability Services if the student would like to receive accommodations. Disability Services will review the IEP or 504 plan to make modifications appropriate for college as provisions made at the high school level fall under different sets of rules and legislation.

The student will be receiving college credit for the course, therefore grading policies, workload, and attendance policies are non-negotiable. No modifications or reductions of any kind, such as reduction in multiple choice, elimination of essay, reduced assignments, etc. will be permitted. The student is going to earn whatever grade is received and it will be because he or she has demonstrated the same level of mastery and responsibility as any other student in that class receiving the same grade. At the post-secondary level, there is not much give in our refusal to j­eopardize the academic integrity of coursework by watering down the curriculum or lowering evaluation standards used to assess student achievement, however, we can and will be very flexible when it comes to procedures used to access the accommodations we provide.

The responsibility of requesting academic accommodations typically falls on the student at the post-secondary level, however, we have found that this procedure has not been effective for secondary students. Therefore, the procedures for requesting accommodations have been modified as follows for this demographic of students.


1. Upon enrollment of a secondary student with an IEP or 504 plan into a college course through either the Secondary Career Center or concurrent program, the high school should provide a copy of the IEP or 504 plan to the High School Programs Department who will forward to Disability Services.

2. Upon receiving IEP or 504 plan documents, Disability Services will review, make appropriate adjustments for the college curriculum, and create an Accommodation Plan which will take the place of the IEP or 504 plan for the college courses.

3. Once the Accommodation Plan is established it will be sent via email to the High School Programs Department who will forward the Accommodation Plan to the appropriate instructor and high school counselor for documentation purposes.

4. Once the instructor receives the Accommodation Plan, he or she will meet with the student to review and sign the plan. Any questions or concerns should be addressed at this time. The Accommodation Plan with all signatures will be sent back to Disability Services to be kept in the students file for documentation purposes.

5. This procedure will need to be followed every semester a student is dually enrolled.

Students planning to attend UA Cossatot following high school graduation must follow normal Disability Services procedures for requesting accommodations. These procedures can be found on the UA Cossatot website at or in the student catalog/handbook.

Educational institutions are bound by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99), which is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records, HOWEVER, these rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Once a student enrolls in a concurrent or Secondary Career Center course, the FERPA rights transfer to the student, regardless of the age of the student, as they are attending a school beyond the high school level. Based on this, Disability Services WILL NOT communicate in any way with any parent of any student without one of the following:

1. A current signed, dated, and verified FERPA Release form in the student file.

2. Certified copy of court records documenting the legal guardianship of the student awarded to the parent.

In order to determine eligibility of accommodations as mandated under the ADA, UA Cossatot requires students provide objective evidence that verifies that the student’s condition meets the definition of “disability” under current laws and identifies functional limitations in regards to academics.

The requirement of documentation serves two purposes:

  • Documentation establishes protection from discrimination.
  • Documentation assists in determining the reasonable accommodations to which the student may be entitled. Documentation for this purpose must establish both the presence of a disability AND provide adequate information regarding the possible functional impact of the disability on academic endeavors in order to identify effective accommodations.

Acceptable sources of documentation for substantiating a student’s disability and request for particular accommodations can take a variety of forms:

Primary Documentation: Student’s Self-Report: The student is a vital source of information regarding how he or she may be “limited by impairment.” A student’s narrative of his or her experience of disability, barriers, and effective and ineffective accommodations is an important tool which, when structured by interview or questionnaire and interpreted, may be sufficient for establishing disability and a need for accommodation.
Secondary Documentation: The impressions and conclusions formed by higher education disability professionals during interviews and conversations with students or in evaluating the effectiveness of previously implemented or provisional accommodations are important forms of documentation.  Experienced disability professionals should feel comfortable using their observations of students’ language, performance, and strategies as an appropriate tool in validating student narrative and self-report.
Tertiary documentation:  Documentation from external sources may include educational or medical records, reports, and assessments created by health care providers, school psychologists, teachers, or the educational system. This information is inclusive of documents that reflect education and accommodation history, such as Individual Education Program (IEP), Summary of Performance (SOP), and teacher observations. External documentation will vary in its relevance and value depending on the original context, credentials of the evaluator, the level of detail provided, and the comprehensiveness of the narrative. However, all forms of documentation are meaningful and should be mined for pertinent information.

Information which identifies or may identify a student is treated with respect and privacy. Information known to faculty and staff about individuals who are served by Disability Services is treated as confidential both in and outside of the college environment. Access to information provided to Disability Services is limited to faculty and staff who are involved with services being provided unless others are named on written releases. Student records and other written student identifying information is maintained, stored and/or disposed of in a secure manner and environment in compliance with all legal requirements.


  • If there is reasonable concern that an individual is a danger to self or others
  • Records may be subpoenaed by a court or audited by an agency of higher education
  • Information may be used for purposes of sharing information with other agencies to assist the student (ie: Arkansas Rehabilitation Services, WIA, Career Pathways), providing training to new staff members, and supervision.

  1. Priority Registration: Students with disabilities may request an appointment with Disability Services for academic advising prior to the publication of the Schedule of Classes. Knowing what classes to enroll in may assist in preparing the student for the upcoming semester as well as allow time for any needed assistive devices/technology to arrive. 
  2. Utilization of a Scribe and/or Note-taker: Students with disabilities may request the assistance of a scribe for assignments and/or exams. A scribe should be a faculty or staff member or other person designated by the student and approved by the instructor who writes or types answers for the student. A note-taker should be a fellow student or willing faculty or staff member who takes notes for the student. These accommodations are primarily for students with certain kinds of learning impairments, such as disorder of written expression or dyslexia, or physical conditions in which there is limited hand dexterity. Instructors may be asked to assist in securing an appropriate classmate for note taking assistance.
  3. Front Row Seating: Students may request to sit close to the front of the class due to conditions or impairments, such as ADD/ADHD or visual/hearing impairments. For a student with ADD/ADHD sitting in the front row, or near the front row, allows the student to better focus as most of the potential distractions are behind the student.
  4. Audio Recording Lectures: It may be appropriate for some students with disabilities to request to audio record class lectures. Students with learning disabilities or cognitive impairments usually benefit from recording lectures as repetition is typically a crucial part of their learning process. Students with physical impairments may not have the dexterity to take notes on the lecture and are not comfortable depending on a classmate's note-taking ability. Digital audio recorders may be checked out from Disability Services but should be requested as soon as possible as there are a limited number of recorders available.
  5. Instructor Notes: Some students with disabilities may request lecture and/or presentation notes, such as copies of PowerPoint presentations, from instructors. This accommodation would be most appropriate for visual learners, students with auditory processing disorders, physical conditions which affect dexterity, and some learning disabilities. Instructors may be asked to compile their notes for the student or provide the student with a copy of basic ideas and key concepts for the class.
  6. Alternative Format Textbooks: Some students with disabilities may request textbooks in a format different from the traditional textbook. Students with visual impairments and/or specific learning disabilities such as dyslexia may benefit from audio textbooks. Because it may take several weeks to secure alternative format textbooks, students are strongly encouraged to contact Disability Services as soon as they are enrolled. In the event that alternative format textbooks are not available, Disability Services will work with the student and instructor to make arrangements to meet the needs of the student.
  7. Extra Time or Extension on Assignments: In some instances, it may be a reasonable accommodation for a student to request extra time on assignments. The request may be due to anything from a specific learning disability to anxiety disorder to a medical condition. Accommodation Plans should be specific regarding extra time on assignments by including the maximum appropriate length of time for the extension, a deadline for when the request for an extension should be made, and if a valid excuse (i.e. doctors note) should be provided for approval of the extension.
  8. Alternative Testing Environment: Use of the testing center provides the student a least distractive environment for exams. It is appropriate for many students with anxiety, ADD/ADHD, learning disabilities, some medical conditions, and possibly those who require an alternative exam format to test in an alternative environment more conducive to their specific needs. Depending on circumstances, students may test one-on-one with instructors during office hours, in an available classroom or office, in the Educational Resource Center, or wherever else meets the student needs and is approved by the instructor.
  9. Alternative Format Exams: Alternative format exams may be appropriate for some students with disabilities as long as it does not jeopardize the integrity of the exam. This accommodation is very individualized for the specific student and is typically only utilized with a recommendation from a professional or past history of success. If this accommodation is appropriate for a student, the student is strongly encouraged to discuss their specific needs with the instructor prior to the first exam so that adequate arrangements can be made.
  10. Extra Time on Exams: Extra time on exams is an appropriate accommodation for many students with disabilities such as ADD/ADHD, anxiety, specific learning disabilities, and medical conditions. If an exam is not timed then this accommodation will not be applicable. Extra time on exams is almost always provided in an alternative testing environment and is typically necessary for students who may require alternative format exams. Accommodation Plans should be specific regarding extra time on exams and will normally be time and a half, double time, or untimed. This accommodation will be tailored on a case by case basis to meet the needs of the student.
  11. Oral Exams:
    • The student may request an exam be completely read aloud. However, if the student utilizes this accommodation, it will be the responsibility of the student to schedule a time to complete the exam. Oral exams should not be administered in the testing center unless arrangements are made by the student with the testing center and it is determined it will not adversely affect others in the testing center. The student should schedule their oral exam with the instructor or Disability Services prior to the deadline for completing the exam. 
    • The student may ask for a word or phrase be read aloud for clarification during an exam. This can be done in the testing center unless it evolves into the student needing the entire exam read aloud or becomes a distraction to other students in the testing center. If this happens, it would be best for the student to contact the instructor or Disability Services to make other arrangements to complete the exam. 
    • Depending on the course and subject matter, a situation may arise where reading the exam aloud or even clarifying a word or phrase for the student may cause concern that the exam will not accurately reflect the student’s knowledge on the subject matter. When this occurs, the situation will be evaluated on a case by case bases and the final determination will be based on collaboration between Disability Services, the student, and the instructor. In some cases, it may be necessary to consult the appropriate Division Chair.
  12. Short Breaks During Exams: For some students with disabilities it may be appropriate to allow short breaks during exams in order for the exam to accurately measure their knowledge of the information being tested. This accommodation is usually provided in the testing center and is determined on a case by case basis depending on the student’s needs. Accommodation Plans should be specific as to how many breaks will be allowed and for how long.
  13. Use of a Calculator: This accommodation is most appropriate for students with learning disabilities in math or dyscalculia. The student may be required to demonstrate their ability to perform basic mathematics before the use of a calculator is permitted. Use of a calculator is only allowed if it does not jeopardize the integrity of the course.
  14. Large Text Format: It may benefit some students with disabilities such as visual impairments or dyslexia to have class materials presented in a large test format. If large text format is determined to be an appropriate accommodation, instructors may be asked to alter class hand-outs, exams, etc. by choosing a larger font size.
  15. Braille Format: Students who are blind may request textbooks as well as other class materials in Braille format. Obtaining Braille textbooks and materials may take several weeks, so students need to make their request as soon as possible. Faculty and staff assisting students who are blind may also request Braille textbooks and materials on behalf of the student. Disability Services will not assume that students who are blind utilize Braille and will not work to obtain Braille textbooks and materials until a request is made. In the event that Braille textbooks or materials are not available, Disability Services will work with the student and instructor to make arrangements to meet the needs of the student.
  16. Sign Language Interpreters: Students who are deaf may request the assistance of a sign language interpreter while in class. Locating a qualified American Sign Language interpreter may take several weeks, so students need to make their request as soon as possible. If a student has a preferred qualified interpreter they should provide the name and contact information of the interpreter in their request. Disability Services will not assume that all students who are deaf require the assistance of an interpreter and will not work to locate and hire an interpreter until a request is made. In the event a qualified sign language interpreter is not available Disability Services will work with the student and instructor to make arrangements to meet the needs of the student.
  17. Personal Counseling: Some students may request regularly scheduled appointments to meet with Disability Services to counsel on personal and academic issues. While this is an appropriate accommodation depending on each student’s individual needs, some students may be referred to a mental health professional for more in-depth professional counseling services.

If a student finds it necessary to file a formal complaint regarding an accommodation or the way in which an accommodation is provided they should follow the Disability Services formal grievance process.   Formal complaints regarding disability-based discrimination or harassment should follow the grievance procedures for non-grade issues as outlined in the academic catalog and on the UA Cossatot website.

1. Students must schedule an appointment with Disability Services to discuss the complaint. The student will be asked to detail the grounds for the complaint, the sought remedy, and justification of the sought remedy based on valid and current documentation of disability. Disability Services has five (5) working days to review documentation, investigate, and respond to the student.

2. If unsatisfied with the decision of Disability Services, the student may present the complaint to the Director of Student Services in written form which must include: details of the accommodation issue, sought remedy for the issue, and justification of sought remedy. The Director of Student Services has five (5) working days to review the written complaint, investigate, and respond in written form.

3. If unsatisfied with the decision of the Director of Student Services, the student may appeal within five (5) working days to the Vice Chancellor of Academics who must respond in writing within five (5) working days.

4. If unsatisfied with the decision of the Vice Chancellor of Academics, the student may appeal within five (5) working days to the Chancellor who will hear the complaint and render a decision within ten (10) working days. The decision of the Chancellor is final.

ADA Technical Assistance – Regional Center

The DBTAC Southwest ADA Center is the Southwest's leading resource on the Americans with Disabilities Act and related disability rights laws. The Center is one of the DBTAC National Network of Centers funded by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR) of the Department of Education. The DBTAC Southwest ADA Center serves a wide range of audiences who are interested in or impacted by these laws, including employers, businesses, government agencies, schools and people with disabilities. Expert staff members are available to provide training and publications and to respond to your inquiries via the toll-free hotline 800-949-4232.

DBTAC – Southwest ADA Center
Independent Living Research Utilization
2323 S. Shepherd Boulevard, Suite 1000
Houston, TX 77019
(800) 949-4232
(713) 520-0232

Arkansas Disability Coalition

The Arkansas Disability Coalition works for equal rights and opportunity for Arkansans with disabilities through public policy change, cross-disability collaboration, and the empowerment of people with disabilities and their families.
1123 South University Avenue
Little Rock, AR 72204-1605
(501) 614-7020

Arkansas Rehabilitation Services

Arkansas Rehabilitation Services (ARS) is a comprehensive state agency dedicated to providing a wide range of vocational services with one main objective – enabling people with disabilities to work.
525 West Capitol Avenue
Little Rock, AR 72201
(800) 330-0632

Arkansas Speech Language Hearing Association

The Mission of the Arkansas Speech-Language-Hearing Association is to provide leadership, professional development, and quality membership services for audiologists and speech-language pathologists; to serve as the catalyst for innovative practices in prevention, assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of communication, hearing, balance, and swallowing disorders; and to advocate for the provision of quality programs and services and for the rights of people with communication hearing, balance, and swallowing disorders.
P.O. Box 250261
Little Rock, AR 72225
Phone: (877) 427-5742
Fax: (501) 224-0988

Arkansas Support Network

Arkansas Support Network, Inc. is a 501(c) 3 tax-exempt organization dedicated to providing the highest quality services and supports possible for individuals who have disabilities. Our Board of Directors is an active group of concerned citizens which is representative of the families and individuals that we serve and of the communities in which they live. We believe that our agency has a responsibility to the whole community. We have taken a leadership role in a number of community advocacy and policy-making positions which extend beyond those normally considered "disability" issues. Our board is committed to the concept of equal access to supports, services, and community resources for all citizens.
6836 Isaac's Orchard Road
Springdale, AR 72762
Phone: (479) 927-4100
Fax: (479) 927-4101
Toll Free: (800) 748-9768

ARS Client Assistance Program

The Client Assistance Program (CAP) is a federally funded program designed to identify, explain, and resolve any problem someone may be having with their rehabilitation program.
1100 N. University, Suite 201 
Little Rock, AR 72207
(800) 482-1174 V/TTY 
FAX (501) 296-1779

Arkansas Cystic Fibrosis Foundation

The Arkansas Chapter has a very energetic and dedicated group of staff and volunteers that are always working on new or improved events and community programs. Our volunteers are dedicated to beating CF - whether it is for personal involvement or because they feel they have a civic duty to be involved in the community. Our vibrant leadership board participates in fundraising and events, and our families and communities help to raise awareness and funds to fight CF. Our goal is to make CF stand for Cure Found!
200 River Market Avenue, Suite 100 
Little Rock, AR, 72201 
Phone: (501) 371-0233 
Fax: (501) 324-2236 

Department of Human Services

Department of Human Services (DHS) County Offices administer several economic programs, including: AFDC, Food Stamps, Medicaid Eligibility, and Community Service programs. Call the number listed to get the phone number for a specific one.
700 Main Street
Little Rock, AR 72203-3237
Fax: (501)682-0366

DHS: Division of Behavioral Health Services

The Division of Behavioral Health Services provides an integrated system of public mental health care and alcohol, tobacco, and other drug prevention and treatment of services to Arkansas residents. The Division of Behavioral Health Services provides the majority of direct services through the state by contracting with 15 community mental health centers (CMHC). Each CMHC is required to provide a full array of traditional and specialized, outpatient services within a defined geographical area called a catchment area. These services include: diagnostic evaluation, treatment planning, individual therapy, group therapy, medication management, case management, crisis services, vocational, housing, and educational support, transportation, and rehabilitative and day treatment services.
305 South Palm Street
Little Rock, AR 72205
Phone: (501) 686-9164
TTD: (501) 686-9176
Fax: (501) 686-9182

DHS: Division of Developmental Disabilities Services

The Division of Developmental Disabilities Services (DDS) has adopted the service delivery philosophy of "Service Options". Service Options are designed so that individuals and their families can have choices in selecting appropriate services in their local community. This philosophy will allow each individual to maximize his or her abilities while enjoying a quality of life commensurate with those abilities. It will also prevent an individual from being forced to access more expensive and intrusive services.
Division of Developmental Disabilities Services
Donaghey Plaza North
P.O. Box 1437, Slot N505
Little Rock, AR 72203-1437
Phone: (501) 683-0870

DHS: Division of Services for the Blind

Division of Services for the Blind (DSB) provides specialized, quality rehabilitation services to blind and visually impaired Arkansans, creating opportunities for individuals to achieve maximum personal and economic independence.

700 Main Street
Little Rock, AR 72203-3237
Fax: (501)682-0366

DHS: Medicaid Eligibility

Arkansas Medicaid is a joint federal and state program that provides necessary medical services to eligible persons who are not able to pay for such services. Individuals are certified as eligible for Medicaid services through the state’s county Human Services Offices or District Social Security Offices.

700 Main Street
Little Rock, AR 72203-3237
Fax: (501)682-0366

Disability Rights Center

This is a federally funded, private non-profit agency that serves as the independent protection and advocacy system for people with disabilities in Arkansas.

1100 N. University, Suite 201 
Little Rock, AR 72207
(800) 482-1174 V/TTY 
FAX (501) 296-1779

Easter Seals Arkansas

Easter Seals' mission is to provide exceptional services to ensure that all people with disabilities or special needs have equal opportunities to live, learn, work and play in their communities.

3920 Woodland Heights Road
Little Rock, AR 72212-2495
Phone: (501) 227-3600

Equal Employment Opportunity Commission

The EEOC promotes equal opportunity in employment through administrative and judicial enforcement of the federal civil rights laws and through education and technical assistance. This office handles complaints related to the ADA and Title 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.
820 Louisiana Street, Suite 200
Little Rock, Arkansas 72201
(501) 324-5060
Fax (501) 324-5991

Governor’s Commission on People with Disabilities

The Governor’s Commission on People with Disabilities is dedicated to the dignity and rights of persons with disabilities in Arkansas. The commission advocates for the rights and participation of persons with disabilities in Arkansas. Each year the Governor’s Commission awards educational scholarships to persons with disabilities throughout Arkansas.
1100 N. University, Suite 201 
Little Rock, AR 72207
(800) 482-1174 V/TTY 
FAX (501) 296-1779

ICAN: Increasing Capabilities Access Network

ICAN acts as a bridge between people with disabilities who need technology information and those who provide it. ICAN has built a statewide network of resources related to assistive devices.
26 Corporate Hill Drive
Little Rock, AR 72205
Fax: 501-666-5319

Learning Disabilities Association of Arkansas

The Learning Disabilities Association of Arkansas is a nonprofit, volunteer organization of parents and professionals. It is devoted to defining and finding solutions to the broad spectrum of learning problems.
P. O. Box 95255
North Little Rock, AR 72190-5255

Learning and Evaluation Center

Learning and Evaluation Center (LEC) provides individualized psychological evaluations for Arkansas Rehabilitation Services consumers, training in disabilities and employment-related issues, and employment-related counseling for people who are deaf.
26 Corporate Hill
Little Rock, AR 72205
501-686-9686 v/tty
501-686-9685 fax

Lions World Services for the Blind

Lions World serves people who are blind and visually impaired who needed to learn independent living skills or job training skills to prepare them to function independently in our “sighted” society. Their Technology Access Center provides comprehensive adaptive technology evaluations for individuals who are blind or have low vision.
2811 Fair Park Boulevard 
Little Rock, Arkansas 72204
Telephone: (501) 664-7100 or 1-800-248-0734
Fax: (501) 664-2743


Mainstream is a non-residential, consumer-driven, independent living resource center for persons with disabilities. Mainstream offers peer support, advocacy, education and training, information and referral, job placement, etc.
300 S. Rodney Parham Suite 5
Little Rock, AR 72205
Fax 501-280-9267

Mental Health Council of Arkansas

The Mental Health Council of Arkansas is a non-profit organization governed by a board of directors representing each of the 15 participating community mental health centers and their affiliates. The MHCA assists its members to achieve the goal of community based treatment which focuses on the whole person with emphasis on physical, mental and emotional wellness and by promoting the comprehensive diagnostic, treatment, and wrap around services provided by the non-profit Community Mental Health Centers of Arkansas. The MHCA is dedicated to improving the overall health and well-being of all Arkansans and communities throughout Arkansas. With over 50 psychiatrists and 2,000 health care professionals, participating members of the MHCA provide comprehensive services specially designed to meet the individual behavioral healthcare needs of Arkansas' citizens.
Pam Christie, Executive Director
501 S. Woodlane,
Suite 104
Little Rock AR 72201
Phone: (501) 372-7062
Fax: (501) 372-8039

National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped

This service is a free library program of Brailled and recorded materials circulated to eligible borrowers. 
Library of Congress
1291 Taylor Street
Washington, DC 20011

National Multiple Sclerosis Society – Arkansas Chapter

We help each person address the challenges of MS. The Society helps people affected by MS by funding cutting-edge research, driving change through advocacy, facilitating professional education, and providing programs and services that help people with MS and their families move their lives forward.
1100 N. University - Suite 255
Little Rock, AR 72207
Phone: (501) 663-8104
1-800-344-4867, option 2
Fax: (501) 666-4355

Southwest Arkansas Counseling and Mental Health

Southwest Arkansas Counseling and Mental Health is a network of outpatient centers that focus on substance abuse and mental health counseling. Offices are located throughout southwest Arkansas.
Main Office
2904 Arkansas Boulevard 
Texarkana AR 71854 
(870) 773-4655 
(870) 774-1315
Sevier County Office
1312 W Collin Raye Drive
DeQueen, AR 71832
(870) 584-7115 
Howard County Office 
508 N. 2nd Street 
Nashville, AR 71852 
(870) 845-3110 

Transition Services

Arkansas Transition Services is a group of six consultants serving all 75 counties in Arkansas in an effort to improve transition outcomes for students with disabilities. Our mission is to effectively assist students with disabilities, educators, parents, agency personnel and community members in preparing students to transition from school to adult life and reach positive post-school outcomes. We provide technical assistance, training and consultations to special education teachers and other relevant staff, as well as to various agency personnel.

Arkansas Department of Education-Special Education

2402 Wildwood Avenue, Suite 172
Sherwood, AR 72120

UAC facilities (including restrooms and classrooms) are designed to permit handicapped persons to enroll and benefit from the education. Handicapped parking provides convenient access to the building entrances.